Thursday, March 18, 2010

RESOLVE!


"Resolved..." -Jonathan Edwards

So I recently have taken an interest in historical church figures like Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Knox, George Whitfield, etc. and I came upon this man named Jonathan Edwards.

All I have to say is...Jonathan Edwards is the man! When he was in his late teens to early twenties he wrote a resolution to himself. The resolution contained a list of 70 resolutions that he had accumulated in the span of about 6 years. I chose some of my favorite resolutions from his list:

BEING SENSIBLE THAT I AM UNABLE TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT GOD' S HELP, I DO HUMBLY ENTREAT HIM BY HIS GRACE TO ENABLE ME TO KEEP THESE RESOLUTIONS, SO FAR AS THEY ARE AGREEABLE TO HIS WILL, FOR CHRIST' S SAKE. (he wrote this opening statement in the beginning of the list)

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

24. Resolved, whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then, both carefully endeavor to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.

32. Resolved, to be strictly and firmly faithful to my trust, that that, in Proverbs 20:6, A faithful man who can find? may not be partly fulfilled in me.

41. Resolved, to ask myself, at the end of every day, week, month and year, wherein I could possibly, in any respect, have done better.

43. Resolved, never, henceforward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God' s; agreeable to what is to be found in Saturday, January 12, 1723.

52. I frequently hear persons in old age, say how they would live, if they were to live their lives over again: Resolved, that I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age.

56. Resolved, never to give over, nor in the least to slacken, my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

63. On the supposition, that there never was to be but one individual in the world, at any one time, who was properly a complete Christian, in all respects of a right stamp, having Christianity always shining in its true luster, and appearing excellent and lovely, from whatever part and under whatever character viewed: Resolved, to act just as I would do, if I strove with all my might to be that one, who should live in my time.

67. Resolved, after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what am I the better for them, and what I might have got by them.

Pretty intense right?

Jonathan Edwards later on became one of the forefront leaders in the First Great Awakening. His life and list of resolutions makes one ponder "What the heck am I doing with my life?!" I hope this post will be an encouragement and challenge to the GGCEM family!


the complete list of Jonathan Edwards' resolutions


What's your favorite resolution from his list? And what resolution do you want to make on your list?


-Otus Mostus Postus Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment